Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration Fashion

First, I want to congratulate President Obama on becoming the 44th President of the United States. History in the making. I watched the inauguration on TV all day and all night yesterday and I clapped and I cried and I smiled. I was so happy. And hopeful. I have the utmost confidence in the new administration and wish them strength and wisdom to start fixing the messes that we find ourselves in at this time.

Now on to the fashion!



Michelle Obama, the new First Lady, looked lovely in this lemongrass yellow sheath with matching pashmina lined coat from Isabel Toledo, a Cuban born designer, based in New York. Toledo has been around for over 20 years. She is not a household name like and Oscar de la Renta or a Narcisco Rodriguez, but she has does have a following. Her clothing can be found at Ikram.




Michelle Obama wore a white, chiffon, one-shoulder gown by up and coming designer Jason Wu to the ten inaugural balls last night. I thought the color worked well in contrast to her dark skin. The dress itself was nice, but it made the first lady look a little boxy in my opinion. Michelle worked it though. Jason Wu, another New York designer, is also not a name that is easily recognized, but he also has quite a following and is known for his flowing designs. Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus.



Even though both of these designers are under the radar, they are going to be household names from today on. I am also thrilled that Mrs Obama picked two lesser known designers to wear on her inauguration events as opposed to one of the biggies. I am positive that most, if not all of the premier designers sent her sketches and dresses. She picked the underdog and that's very commendable, just like America picked the underdog in her husband Barack Obama.


And not to be outdone,


Jill Biden looked stunning in this red Reem Acra gown to the Inaugural balls. Red was her color of the day. If you were watching, she wore a gorgeous red coat with tall boots for the inauguration ceremony earlier that day. red definitely works for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

View my page on Fashion Industry Network